S. Anna and E. Duse and F. Stark tomb

santa-anna

The Monastery of the Capucine monks with annexed church was built with the permission of Sixtus V in 1587 and survived until 1769. After becoming municipal property it was fitted out as a lazzarette, barracks and home for the needy. The belvedere of the monastery became a burial place after the Napoleonic Saint Cloud edict ordering cemeteries to be moved outside the town and, after that, illustrious personalities from Asolan life (E. Duse, Freya Stark, Manara Valgimigli etc.) came to rest forever in this hermitage sleeping in the quiet greenery After a century and a half of alternating activity and semi-abandonment, the old monastery was finally able to return to its original and more suitable purpose: in 1928 the Capucine monks returned there and it took on the name of Sant’Anna from an altar existing in the church. Liberally adapted from “Atlante Storico delle Città Italiane – Asolo” edited by Guido Rosada directed by Francesca Bocchi © 1993 Grafis Edizioni Via 2 giugno, 440033 Casalecchio di Reno (BO)